IoT in Healthcare: Benefits and Use Cases in the Real-world
What stopped the global healthcare industry from nose-diving when the pandemic struck the world?
Well, it was the commitment of our healthcare workers and the use of IoT. IoT in healthcare industry has become deeper than ever, and we don’t see any slowdown in the near future.
If you’re a healthcare industry player and have no idea what IoT implementation brings to the table, read this post.
IoT In Healthcare Industry — A Magic Wand
Out of all the technology upgrades that the healthcare industry has received, IoT’s implementation proved the most beneficial. IoT devices are of many kinds and have improved illness spotting, treatment customization, emergency aid, live health monitoring, and various other aspects of the healthcare industry.
With IoT implementation, healthcare industry players have a chance to:
● Have a hold of real-time patients’ health data. Devices like wearable bands and monitoring machines can help caregivers and medical professionals to know the present-day vitals of a patient and provide medical aid accordingly.
● Enjoy end-to-end connectivity as it promotes effective communication between machines directly. This makes communication speedy as it supports modern protocols like ZigBee, Bluetooth LE, Z-wave, WiFi, and many more. They all help caregivers to spot an illness quickly and easily.
● Improve preventive healthcare. With IoT devices like CMMS, GPS tracker, EKG monitoring, and so on, it’s easy to keep track of patients’ health when they are outside the hospital’s boundary, or they miss a health check.
● Empower patients enough to take care of themselves with the help of IoMT or the Internet of Medical Things. Such devices help patients to keep track of key health parameters even when caregivers are not by their side.
● Reduce the burden on caregivers. IoT devices automate tons of things and reduce human intervention. This way, it’s possible to trim down the burden on caregivers. When the COVID-19 outbreak was at its peak, many medical robots were helping caregivers with tasks like giving medicines, monitoring conditions, and providing real-time health updates.
Key Use Cases
Impressed with IoT’s benefits for the healthcare industry but confused about how to use it? Here are key use cases.
Build an IoT wearable device that will monitor patients’ health around the clock and provide key data. AVA is helping women to conceive by tracking the ovulation period. KardiaMobile EKG is keeping caregivers updated with the heart conditions of patients from far.
Provide telehealth facilities to patients from a remote location. Starting from video consultation to remote operations, everything is possible with IoT. Vantage is an IoT device that provides real-time data of audio/video, medical imaging, and patient informatics.
IoT and remote monitoring devices are useful for set-up virtual hospitals that can take care of OPD patients easily. In some cases, remote hospitals can provide immediate critical assistance as well.
IoT Is The Future
When done right, IoT can change many healthcare industry dynamics for good. It can fix the talent crunch, up to a certain extent, and make healthcare facilities easily accessible. However, having the right IoT partner by your side is important. Use its skill to empower your healthcare service.
Originally published at https://www.linkedin.com.